Detail Project`s 3D WBS had been defined from previous author`s blog, the previous 3D WBS had been developed in accordance PBS, ZBS and ABS that determined by author expertise (un-standardize WBS).
The un-standardize WBS has some following limitation:
- High possibility for project scope missing & miss interpretation (because there are no detail guidance / check list for completion scope verification).
- Inconsistent for cost and schedule reporting.
- Un-integrated with project database system.
- Less accurate capability for estimating costs and schedules associated with future projects.
- Less capable to compare earned value performance across its project portfolio.
- Required more times for decomposition process.
In accordance the limitation, standardize WBS components is critical activities that must be performed to ensure the effectiveness of project team activities to deliver project objectives.
The feasible alternative to develop standardize WBS as follow:
- OmniClass 3D-WBS: OmniClass is a means of organizing and retrieving information specifically designed for the construction industry. It consists of 15 hierarchical tables, each of which represents a different facet of construction information or entries on it can be combined with entries on other tables to classify more complex subjects. (OmniClass, 2014)
- NORZOK Standard Z-014 3D-WBS: Standards Norway has published Z-014 Standard Cost Coding System (SCSS) edition 2, May 2012. This NORSOK standard defines a system for cost coding and weight estimates and as-built or experience data.
On this blog, author will develop the Work Breakdown Structure using OmniClass 3D-WBS.
Based on the 3D WBS Theory, Project scopes can be developed into 3D WBS which based on three main dimensions: Products or Function System Breakdown Structure), GBS or ZBS (geographical or functional zones Breakdown Structure) and ABS (Activity Breakdown Structure), all this dimension is connected each other as project scopes mainframe for achieve project`s objectives.
All of this three dimension projects can be integrated in comprehensive 3D models which visualized as figure 1.1 below: (Moine, 2012)
Figure 1.1 – Project Cubes Concept of 3D WBS model.
From figure 1.1 above we can see that each of project dimension (PBS, ZBS, and ABS) is placed on main axis of project cubes (X, Y and X) which describe detail connection among project dimensions.
Selection of the criteria
Based on OmniClass, there are 15 inter-related tables as shown on table 1.1 below:
Analysis and comparison of the alternatives.
1. EF1 Rebuild Project– Zone Breakdown Structure (ZBS).
The term ZBS refer to the tree structure of area, sites or the geographical parts of the project generally.
In accordance these definitions, detail ZBS for EF Rebuild projects can be extracted by OmniClass Table 12 (Space by Form) which noted Elevation / Level / Floor for decompose ZBS components, which detail shown according chart 1.1 and figure 1.2 below
Chart 1.1 – EF Rebuild OmniClass ZBS.
Figure 1.2 – Electric Furnace Floor.
2. EF1 Rebuild Project– Product Breakdown Structure (PBS).
The product breakdown structure breaks the project into physical elements, products, systems or sub systems.
In accordance these definitions, detail PBS for EF Rebuild projects can be extracted by OmniClass Table 21 (Elements) which noted EF parts / facilities for decompose PBS components, which detail shown according chart 1.2 and figure 1.3 below
Chart 1.2 – EF Rebuild OmniClass PBS.
Figure 1.3 – Electric Furnace Facilities.
3. EF1 Rebuild Project– Activity Breakdown Structure (ABS).
Activity Breakdown structure is the hierarchy of activities, phases, and sub-activities.
In accordance these definitions, detail ABS for EF Rebuild projects can be extracted by OmniClass Table 31 (Phases) which noted project phase for decompose ABS components, which detail shown according chart 1.3
Chart 1.3 – EF Rebuild OmniClass ABS.
4. EF1 Rebuild Project– 3D WBS.
The 3 types of EF rebuild project dimension are mixed together to form dimensional cube where OmniClass PBS as x-axis, OmniClass ABS as y-axis and OmniClass ZBS as z-axis, which shown at 3D WBS at figure 1.3 below.
Figure 1.4 – EF Rebuild OmniClass 3D WBS.
Selection of the Preferred Alternatives
Based on analysis above, shown that the Omniclass tables give more detailed WBS and can be fully implemented for standardize 3D WBS into EF Rebuild Project.
Performance Monitoring and The Post Evaluation Result
OmniClass is specifically designed for the construction industry, so use the tables to be suitable for mining projects is challenging task, therefore it is necessary to keep update the WBS periodically.
- AlFadha, A. (2014). Can Multidimensional WBS be the Solution for IT Project. PM World Journal. Retrieved from http://pmworldjournal.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/pmwj28-nov2014-AlFadha-multidimensional-wbs-Featured-Paper2.pdf
- Humphreys, C.G., (2011). Project Management Using Earn Value (2nd). Humphreys & Associates, Inc. Orange, CA. USA.
- Hikmawan, A.N., (2014, September 21). W4_ANH_ Exploring Omniclass 3D WBS for WWTP Project. Retrieved from http://wordpress.com/
- Moine, J. Y. (2014, Sep.11). Part#136: Overall Project Structuration in Multidimensional Way. Retrieved from : http://3d-wbs.blogspot.com/2014/09/part-136-overall-project-structuration.html
- Sanjaya, S.A., (2014, November 14). W10_SAS_ Define Project Objective for Electric Furnace Rebuild Project. Retrieved from http://wordpress.com/
- Sanjaya, S.A., (2014, November 21). W11_SAS_ Developing WBS for Electric Furnace Rebuild Project. Retrieved from http://wordpress.com/
- , (2014, November 14). W12_Wafir_High Voltage Tower Relocation: Step 2 – Work Breakdown Structure. Retrieved from http://sorowakoaace2014.wordpress.com/
- The benefit of Standardize WBS. Retrieved from: http://www.projectmanagementdocs.com